Planning your bathroom renovation
While it’s common knowledge that the key to a hassle free renovation is good planning, what constitutes good planning may not be so obvious. Things like where to start, what order to do things in and when to talk to who about what can be a daunting experience for the first-time renovator. So, here are a few tips to take you from A to Z:
1. Get to know your bathroom. Spend a week really getting to know your bathroom, including all the things you may not notice on a daily basis. Are there areas you don’t use? Do you keep hitting your big toe on the leg of the vanity? Consider things like the floor space, whether the fixtures are positioned in easy reach, the depth of the bath, the height of the mirror, even the position of the toilet roll holder, then write it all down.
2. Choose your style. Consider the rest of your home and the individual personalities of your household. Think of colours, styles and what type of atmosphere you’re trying to create.
3. Prioritise. Decide on what’s most important to you. How do you use your bathroom? Does it need to be a sturdy, solid vault to cope with high traffic chaos and bath-time battleship wars or a cozy haven for peace and relaxation? Write down your top three priorities, and then use these as your guide when making every decision throughout the renovation process.
4. Practicalities. Now you’ve had time to conjure up your dream bathroom, it’s time to look at the nuts and bolts of the situation. This is a good time to call in the licensed plumber you'll be using to see if your ideas will translate into reality and, of course, how it will impact your budget.
5. Budget. Set a budget and make sure you update and refer to it regularly throughout the renovation process. Remember to include contingency plans to compensate for the unexpected.
6. Selecting products. Finally, you get to go shopping! As well as style and price, it's a good idea to consider product warranty. When it comes to what to choose first, start with your must-have signature piece (if you have one), then move on to tiles, then the vanity unit, tapware, toilet, bath, shower, and finally accessories.
Head to our website to find out more about how we can help you plan your next bathroom renovation.