Cleaning for Asthma and Allergies
Spring has sprung and this is usually the season where a lot of people develop hayfever and other allergy symptoms due to the many pollens and allergens in the air. Allergens are hard to avoid since many of them float in the air. Cleaning (like dusting and vacuuming) can stir up the air and the allergens in it. Just like other particles in the air, sometimes cleaning products can "trigger" an asthma attack but it is still important to clean. If you don't dust and clean, mould and other allergens will build up, making asthma symptoms worse.
If you have allergies or asthma, here are some important tips:
- Read and follow label directions on cleaning products. The label directions give the proper amount of product to use, how to use the product and any special safety advice.
- If you use spray products, spray the cleaner on a cloth or sponge first instead of on the surface.
- Break your cleaning into small tasks. Spread it out over several days instead of doing it all at once.
- Clean in a "well-ventilated" area - open a door and a window or turn on an exhaust fan. Leave the room when you are done cleaning and allow the room to air out.
- Try using cleaning products that have no scent or are perfume free. Try different products to find the ones that work best for you.
- If your asthma is severe, have someone else do the cleaning. Try to leave home before when the cleaning is being done. If you must do the cleaning yourself, wear a mask. Have asthmatic children leave the room when cleaning is being done. Don't ask children with asthma to dust or vacuum. Have them do other chores like washing dishes, taking out the trash, etc.
- Use cleaning products that are "green". Ones without hazardous ingredients including VOC's (volatile organic compounds).
If you follow some easy steps you can clean safely without disrupting your life with allergy and asthma symptoms.
All Aces Services is a restoration services company offering cleaning, protection, and restoration services for our residential and commercial customers.
Please see our website for more details.