Non-Slip, Anti-Slip, Slip ResistantWhat are your Legal Responsibilities?
Non-Slip, Anti-Slip, Slip Resistant…What are your Legal Responsibilities?
‘Slip and Fall’ injuries cost Australians billions of dollars every year!
Homeowners and businesses are responsible for providing a safe environment for all pedestrians who have access to their properties. This includes ensuring that all floor surfaces have non-slip properties that comply with Australian Standards. For those who ignore these responsibilities, the costs can be enormous.
Firstly, the pain and suffering that can occur as a result of slip and fall accidents can be great. No one wants to be responsible for the often devastating injuries to a family member, friend, colleague, employee, or member of the public that may occur because a floor surface is not non-slip.
Secondly, the risk of litigation arising as a result of these injuries is high. You only have to open newspapers and magazine to get an idea of the number of slip and fall injuries that occur every day.
- Woman sues over slip, fall at IGA store
- Strain, sprain injuries get $350K
Local man receives one of largest-ever court judgments
Slippery floors are an accident waiting to happen and each and every property owner is responsible for ensuring that their pedestrian surfaces have the correct co-efficient of friction (slip resistance) required by Australian Standards.
Surfaces which are of particular concern are bathroom, laundries, kitchens, garages, driveways, swimming pools surrounds, and footpaths. Homeowners and business owners should look for a company that has the equipment and knowledge to:
- Accurately measure the co-efficient of friction (slip resistance) of all floor surfaces to determine if the floors anti-slip properties meet Australian Standards.
- Provide the appropriate non-slip treatments to ensure that floor surfaces meet these Standards if they are found to be dangerous.
- Provide an on-going maintenance program for clients to ensure that the highest possible co-efficient of friction is maintained.
- Provide a warranty for non slip works completed.