Moving house tips for seniors
- Can I afford to move house
- How will I pack up all my possessions on my own
- I'm not sure I'm able to downsize
- How long will it take to pack up my house
How the self pack system works:
- An empty moving container is delivered to your home (it can stay there for up to 30 days for loading)
- Once loaded, your container is picked up and moved interstate by rail
- The loaded container is dropped off at your new home
- You unload at your own pace, the empty container is picked up when you're ready
- You can relax and settle into your new home
The elderly may find it particularly invasive to have a team of removalists come into their home and pack all of their things. Also there is the issue of downsizing - if seniors are moving house after having lived somewhere for a sizable chunk of time, then they are bound to have some level of clutter that really doesn't need moving. A full service removlalist obviously can't make the call about getting rid of someones else things, so the result is, that everything gets packed and moved. This is expensive, there is no need to pay to move items that are essentially unneeded or rubbish.
With self pack removals, it works a bit differently. You are in charge of packing yourself so it's a great opportunity to declutter and downsize. It works particularly well when there are other family members to help load the furniture and boxes into the container for the elderly person who is moving. The elderly person gets the option to pack their own treasures themselves and to have a say in what may need to be donated, recycled or discarded in their home.
All the stress of a 'same-day' removal, is taken away and the whole moving process is a lot more relaxed and stress free.