Removalist Charges - Must Read Information
Transcorp Removals & Storage - Toll Free 1300 466 838
Removalists In Melbourne - Your VERY Imporatant Decision!
Thank you for opening this page and I know this information will be useful for you to decide which local company you select for your removal.
This article is designed to make you aware of hidden traps that some removal companies try and charge you without justification.
Removals companies that charge the following. Questions you MUST ask before giving you hard earned money!
- Depot to Depot - You are paying the removal company to drive to your job and then back again when they may be doing another removal around the corner! How can it be fair for two customers moving on the same day to be paying depot to depot when the truck is already on the road? The removal company is definitely double dipping on charges and you are paying for it! You should only pay a removalist from your pick up point to your new residence because that is when they are actually working.
- Return time - You are paying them drive back to the original pick up point when they may be going to another job nearby! Some removal companies will charge you back to the original place of pick up when calculating their charge. Not fair!
- Minimum 2 hours - Other companies charge a minimum of 2 hours even if the job is less than 2 hours. This is the cost of business and typically one job will follow another. A good removal company will have more work after a small job. If they don’t have other jobs then I they may be a back yard company with minimal experience and have lack of tools, blankets and equipment to cut corners on their costs. Do not let anyone move what you work so hard for. Ask questions because you have every right to!
- Nearest 30min or 1hr - Some companies charge you to nearest 30min or by the full hour only. You end up paying a lot extra.
- Credit Card Fees - You get charged extra for paying by credit card. Anything from 2-5% is added to your removal cost. How can that be fair! This is a cost that needs to be considered when their hourly rate is established, not plus this plus that etc!
- Road Tolls (such as City link) - Other removal companies forward the costs to you or go the long way (extra time added) when tolls reduce their driving costs.
- Lunch breaks - Companies charge you for their staff / contractors to have lunch breaks! You are paying them to go down the road and get food or to sit for 30 min (that may cost you $44.00-$77.00) whilst they have their lunch! Take this off their final removal charge as you have probably also given them drinks and a snack yourself whilst they where working. Please understand, I am totally for hard working removalists to have a well deserved lunch break but they MUST take this time off your final charge.
- We Break It we fix It - Some removal companies offering this have lengthy conditions that almost always voids any claim. Such as you can’t help, you must follow every trolley/carry load, you must see damage done, you may need to pay an excess, maximum claim limit, they decide the repair method etc... You MUST read all of their 1-2 pages of fine print (please ask them to forward these pages to you). These offers are not insurance based they are only a sales technique to get you to use their service and any claims will be considered only ….they don’t have to pay out and will make it hard for you to claim! They also charge you extra per hour to accommodate for claims and this so called “additional” offer. If you need insurance to cover for accidental damages then consider doing it properly and go through a reputable insurance company that covers you for these type of damages as that is all they do. Besides selecting the best removal company to look after what you worked hard for, this will be the second most important subject for you to consider.
“THE FAIR CHARGING SYSTEM”
Transcorp Removals Managing Director