Your Checklist for Moving House
Two Months to Moving Day
- Choose Your Removalist - Many removals services, especially the high-quality ones, can book out far in advance. So, it is a good idea to lock in your reservation as soon as you know that you will be moving house. If you have any unusual items, like pianos, antiques, boats, caravans and the like, be sure to mention it, as not all removalists can assist with specialised items.
- Minimise Grocery Shopping - Try to make your way through any perishable and frozen items before you move so you don't have to take them with you. Dry goods and non-perishable items can be packed, but make sure you can close or seal the packages to prevent spills. It can be helpful to put together a meal plan for the next couple of months to help you eat your way through everything by moving day.
- Start Gathering Packing Boxes - If your removalists won't be doing the packing for you, you'll need to pack up your belongings yourself. And, for that, you're going to need plenty of boxes. Packing boxes can be pricey, so ask your friends and neighbours for any they can spare. Local businesses may also have empty boxes on hand, so don't be shy about asking.
One Month to Moving Day
- Start Packing - Start with the items you aren't likely to need over the next few weeks, like off-season clothing, sporting equipment, books and decorative items. Leave essential items for last so you don't have to dig through boxes to find what you need. Be sure to label everything clearly for easier unpacking in your new home.
- Transfer Your Utilities - You'll need to let your electric, gas, TV, internet and other service companies know that you are moving. Depending on where you are moving to, you may be able to transfer your service with the same company, or you might need to sign on with a new provider. Be sure to pay any outstanding bills as well.
- Arrange Cleaning Services - If you are leasing your current property, your landlord will likely require that you clean the house or apartment under the terms of your lease. You may need to have your new property cleaned as well, depending on the circumstances of your move. As with removalists, high-quality cleaning services are often heavily booked, so make your appointment as soon as you can.
Two Weeks to Moving Day
- Change Your Address - Update your address with Australia Post, as well as any subscriptions and other services you use. This way, you'll avoid interruption of service once you move into your new home. Don't forget to notify your banks, the electoral commission and your friends and family.
- Confirm Your Removalist - Check in with your removalist to verify the details of your move so you know exactly what to expect on moving day.
- Pack Your Essentials - Each member of your family should have a small bag or piece of luggage containing a few changes of clothes, toiletries and other necessities. Keep these items with you rather than sending them with the removalists. This way, you'll have the things you need most, even if complications arise during the move.
To make moving house as easy as can be, you can count on Southside Removals. When you plan ahead, moving doesn't have to be nearly as stressful as you might think. Whether you are moving to another state or just across town, our team is here to help. Get in touch with us today to learn more about our services and request a free quote for your upcoming move.