When renovating or building in New South Wales there are certain building regulations with which your project must comply. To avoid unnecessary stress, it is important to ensure you acquire all the relevant approvals for your build or renovations.
Firstly, you should always use a NSW Licensed Builder who is trained in all building codes and construction requirements and can assist you in the initial phases of your project.

Approval Types

There are numerous types of approvals required for building or renovating your home, however generally you won’t be required to obtain all approval forms. To save time, it helps to understand the various approval types required in NSW. The New South Wales government website includes a number of useful resources for homeowners who are new to renovations and building.

Development Consent or Complying Development Certificate (CDC)

Building and renovations may require a Development consent or Complying Development Certificate (CDC). This certificate is needed to acquire development consent in New South Wales. The Service NSW website provides information on the process.
Complying development is a faster process. This type of approval applies to certifiably straightforward builds or renovations. It is a fast-track process when compared to development consent. When you are approved for a CDC, the local council or an accredited certifier will provide the certificate.

Approval for Construction

You will need a construction certificate that outlines that building specifications comply with development consent and the Building Code of Australia. This certificate can be acquired from the local council or a private certifier.
If you have a CDC, a construction certificate is not necessary. Again, the Service NSW website provides all the information you will need before you call the council. This will help to ensure that the process goes smoothly and you acquire certification as quickly as possible.

Development application

If you are at the point where your build requires development consent, there are conditions you must meet before you start building. You will need a construction certificate before any work begins. If you aren’t already familiar with the process, the council or a private certifier (PCA) provides the certification. Be warned: If work begins and the construction certificate is issued after the fact, you will have problems. Such certificates are invalid and an occupational certificate will not be issued.

The council or an accredited certifier is tasked with providing stage inspections at crucial points during the construction. These tasks are important in ensuring that the homeowner receives an occupational certificate once the build is complete. The next task is notifying the PCA of information pertaining to whether the project is being undertaken by a licensed contractor or the homeowner as an owner-builder.
The PCA must then notify the consent authority as the issuers of the development consent. The local council should receive confirmation of the appointment no less than two days before work begins. It is your job to ensure that the contractor is aware of stage inspections and any other inspections needed.

Once you have met the requirements of these regulations, contact the council and notify them of your intended project commencement date. This must be done before any contractor or owner-builder commences work.

Certifying authority

When development consent or complying development is required, an application to the council or private certifier is also necessary for a construction certificate or complying development certificate. The PCA must be involved at this point in the project. The PCA will coordinate with you to ensure that the construction complies with relevant building standards.

Once you have chosen the council certifier or an accredited-certifier, a construction certificate can be issued. These professionals are not part of the construction team. Your builders and contractors hold no sway over certifiers decisions, either. Some builders may make recommendations for certifiers in the industry; however, the choice is ultimately yours to make alone.
For expert and reliable stage construction inspection, reach out to Houspect in New South Wales today.