Some common questions we get asked - Part 1 of 1

Some common questions we get asked - Part 1 of 1

What do you look for?

SafeHome House Inspectors are qualified building and pest inspectors and believe from experience that most clients wish to be informed of the following;

Any major structural problems and maintenance problems and subsequent costs involved in rectifying same. The main expense problems will be structural issues located in the footings and sub floor space of the dwelling and the roof frame, and of course termite damage.

A SafeHome house inspection covers the footings carefully for any visible evidence of cracked slabs, deteriorated stumps, rot and leaking in flooring frames and sub floor, termites in flooring frames and differential settlement in the walls of the home.
Safehome house inspections carefully inspect the roofing frame for any major detachment of the framing members, insulation problems over light fittings, borer damage and termite infestation.

We will also inspect all walls, ceilings, internal floor levels, binding doors and windows which may indicate footings problems. We will inspect for timber fungal decay (rot), water hammer or pipe knock, leaking pipes, poor drainage, rusted gutters and down pipes, poor roof flashing, brick cracking and fences.

Do you inspect maintenance type issues during your house inspection?

Lack of maintenance works carried out on a dwelling eventually results in more defects, thus more money. Maintaining gutters, down pipes, drainage, painting of weather boards is essential. Regular inspections of roofing, flashing and also the internal wet areas is also essential. We inspect these areas and report on them in detail.

Do we really need a termite inspection?

Personally, I believe it is essential. We have seen the damage that termites can do which can reach in excess of $50,000 damage if undetected. A relatively small fee for a pest inspection is worth it when comparing the fee to the cost of the damage they can cause.

We use expensive non invasive instrument to try to locate termite workings, termite damage and termite infestation. The Termatrac T3i is our latest and most expensive instrument with the latest technology including a termite detection radar.

Why should we use Safehome?

We enjoy our work, enjoy assisting people and enjoy the positive feedback we receive from clients. Remember, we are not here to convince you not to purchase a home, we are here to let you know what the potential costs that may be incurred to rectify any major or minor problems if you do buy the home.

SafeHome House inspections are an independent, Australian owned and registered company, experienced and qualified building and pest inspectors and we have conducted over 5000 house inspections and pest inspections in Melbourne since 2004.

We are members of the highly regarded and reputable Master Builders Association of Victoria. SafeHome House Inspections are highly regarded and engaged by five prominent Melbourne Buyers Advocacy and consultants which is testament to their high standard of customer service, ethics and professionalism.

If you have specific requests or areas of concern please inform us of same and we will endeavor to assist.

Do you source out your work to other contractors with no interest in your company?

You, the client will liaise directly with the inspector as this is our policy. We do not source out any of our inspections to others not directly involved with this company. We do not source out our reports. This means you will have the two directors of this company conducting the inspections, speaking with you on the phone, typing up the house inspection reports, forwarding the house inspection report and photographs to you directly. We have a vested interest in conducting a very thorough house inspection as our reputation is as important to us as is the house we are inspecting important to you.

We organise the inspection times with the relevant real estate agent to save you time.

Considering building or renovating?

Any Building works over $12,000 - The builder must be covered by an insurance policy as required under section 135 of the Building Act 1993. It is an offence not to have the insurance and to falsely claim they have.

Builders Warranty Insurance now only covers home owners for defects and incomplete work in cases where the builder has died, is insolvent or has disappeared. In all other cases it is the responsibility of the builder to fix defects or finish incomplete work.

Building Advice and Conciliation Victoria (BACV) was set up to help homeowners and builders work together to resolve building disputes.

Builders must be registered with the Building Practitioners Board for most work over $5000. Contact the Building Practitioners Board at or telephone 1300 36 03 20.

Do I need a permit to build this? Permits may be required to -

  • Demolition of a free standing class 10 building (e.g. garage) that exceeds 40 m2 in floor area.
  • Re-stumping a home.
  • Underpinning footings on a dwelling.
  • Removal of a load bearing wall or removal and alteration of any element of the building that is contributing to the support of any other element of the building.
  • A fence exceeding 2 m in height.
  • A concrete masonry or the like fence exceeding 1.5 m when within 3 m of street.
  • A pergola exceeding 3.6 m in height.
  • A pergola exceeding 20 m2 if floor area.
  • A 1m or higher retaining wall.
  • A swimming pool with a depth greater than 300 mm.
  • Construction of free standing class 10A building (e.g. a garage) that exceeds 10m2 and is greater than 3m in height (if situated within 1 m of a boundary and is greater than 2.4 m in height)