Small Upgrades to Your Kitchen & Bath that Drastically Improve the Value of Your Home
When it comes to your kitchen, it is something that buyers will look at with much anticipation. The kitchen is often referred to as the heart of the home. Even families that don’t cook gourmet meals on a regular basis value a beautiful and functional kitchen. Here are 5 ideas for upgrading your kitchen and making it more presentable to buyers while improving the value of your home.
- Thorough Cleaning: It may sound strange because a clean kitchen is common sense. However, we are talking about a thorough cleaning. Maybe even bring in the professionals. A sparkling clean kitchen is going to make a big impression. Often times a thorough cleaning leads to inspection and the realization of a few minor details that needed fixing.
- Window Treatments: The lighting in the kitchen must be a fine balance between sunlight and the proper type of lighting fixtures. Window coverings are important aspects of the entire look of the kitchen. They can really tie in the look of the kitchen while allowing in the right amount of sunlight during the day and providing for privacy at night,
- Update the Cabinets: The cabinets are usually the largest feature of the kitchen, so fixing them up or upgrading them can make the biggest impact. This can mean sanding and adding a fresh coat of paint. Adding some knobs and handles can make just about any cabinet look new.
- Lay in a New Backsplash: The backsplash is the area on the wall in between the lower and upper cabinets. It was often ignored in older designs. Now there are smaller tiles that are made just for the backsplash, so adding them in or even a fresh coat of paint makes a big difference in this eye level section.
- Replace the Taps and Fixtures: In addition to making sure that all the plumbing is in order, replacing the faucets and taps can give a shiny new look to the entire sink.
The bathroom of the home can also help sell your home and upgrades can increase the value of your home. The bathroom isn’t just a place to get cleaned up, ideally, it should be a relaxing oasis. Make it feel that way to potential homeowners with these improvements and some simple display tips like scented candles, mood lighting, and highlights of the relaxing features in your bathroom.
- Thorough Cleaning: Just as with the kitchen, a thorough cleaning of the bathroom is very important. Be sure to de-clutter the space and clean the tile grout too.
- Install a Vented Fan: This should be done as far in advance as possible. Not only will you get the benefit of the bathroom fan while you still live in the house, but it also helps get rid of or prevent that musty smell from building up in the bathroom. That could be an immediate turn off to potential buyers touring your home.
- Coordinate the Accents: Make sure the outlets and light fixtures match the silver, chrome, or copper of the other fixtures and faucets. This completed look adds a large impact to the overall impression of your bathroom for a very small price. It is so often that the small details make a big difference.
- Add Storage Space: Adding storage space can help show off the bathroom in a better light as well as add the benefit of storage for the new homeowners. When a bathroom looks less cluttered, it becomes that relaxing place in the home that new residents can think of as a place they want to go to relax.
- Replace the Faucets: The sink and shower or bath faucets can get old and rusty. Replacing them doesn’t always take a plumber’s doing and can make a big impression.
If kitchens and bathrooms sell homes, then more attention should be paid to them. Spending a little bit of time, effort, and a small budget on each room can help ensure you will sell your house for the asking price. Any improvements done to these two rooms can also more than pay for themselves when they increase the value of your home. For more tips on updating your kitchen and home, visit http://blog.budgettrucks.com.au/2015/06/kitchen-island-makeoves/.